Sunday, May 26, 2013

Trying new things for dinner

Trying new things for dinner
So tonight I made Pistachio crusted pork chops with homemade pasta and a Mustard Tarragon cream sauce. I am always looking for new ways to cook food and getting my kids to try some thing different. Being diabetic makes it a little harder as I need to watch the crabs I eat.
One thing I have found is that regular pasta does not react with me the way it does for most diabetics. Normally you can only have about 1 cup of pasta, but for me I can eat a huge pate full and still have my blood sugars in range. Any other diabetic would be sky high. Now they make a pasta for diabetic called "Dream Fields". They say it's not something for those who are not diabetic to really eat a lot of, but it the carbs in it work differently and a diabetic can eat more of it. I found out that for it does not work. If I eat just a 1/4 of a cup of this pasta it send my blood sugars sky high.
I know, it is very strange. I like to think that it's my Italian blood that is say "Are you kidding me!!! No respectful Italian would eat that stuff." But seriously, I have no clue as to why Dream Fields pasta does the opposite with me, but I am glad it does. I did not like the taste of it at all. It was kind of pastie.
Anyways, last night I made Beef kabobs with couscous salad, cucumber yogurt, and hummus. I actually had about 2 cups of the couscous and I used Naan instead of pitas. I cut them into wedges. I had about 4 of those. My blood sugar after dinner was 113, which is great.
I don't always eat like I should (the type of foods), so I have trying to be better and eat more of the food I should be eating or trying to find a way to lower the carbs. I really wish my kitchen was a restaurants kitchen, fully stocked all the time and all the cooking equipment too, oh and lets not forget someone to clean up all my messes, lol. I think I would be in heaven.
Well it is time to change the ol' pod (insulin pod). Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment